TITLE: Assistant Music Director
DEPARTMENT: Music Clubhouse
REPORTS TO: Music Clubhouse Director
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
JOB SUMMARY/PRIMARY FUNCTION:
The Music Clubhouse Assistant will work as an integral member of the Music Clubhouse program. S/he will be responsible for assisting in the day-to-day program logistics of the Music Clubhouse, including but not limited to informal and formal music learning/instruction, scheduling of music lessons, collecting program participants’ demographic information, updating and maintaining program data, supporting program events and community outreach. S/he will be responsible for mentoring youth participants (with varying skill levels) to engage in/with rhythm section instruments, ensembles, and music production with an emphasis on music technology. The Music Clubhouse Assistant will work closely with the Music Clubhouse Director to develop and maintain relationships with Music Clubhouse participants and their families.
KEY ROLES: (Essential Job Responsibilities)
- Responsible for engaging youth participants during drop-in “Open Studio” programming including:
- Manage the Music Clubhouse sign-in database and orientation process
- Manage participant behavior and proper use of equipment by maintaining and upholding organizational values and procedures
- Provide informal learning opportunities on rhythm section instruments and music technology
- Responsible for scheduling and instructing weekly group lessons including:
- Lead weekly schedule of music instructional activities with small groups of youth, many with no previous musical experience.
- Help participants gain proficiency on their instrument utilizing contemporary music, ensembles/bands, and regular performance opportunities
- Responsible for utilizing music technology including:
- Encourage youth music productions and songwriting projects to teach youth how to use music production software/DAW’s (including iPads), and recording techniques. Through project based learning participants will learn beat making, songwriting, recording/editing/mixing, and music production
- Responsible for creating and implementing regular performance/showcase opportunities including:
- Preparing and coaching youth to perform with confidence
- Developing regular monthly open mic nights, Album release parties and other signature events.
- Responsible for Mentoring youth participants
- Assist in outreach efforts for the Music Clubhouse program
- Identify core group of teens to serve as Music Clubhouse “Youth Leaders” (Members will receive advanced music and leadership training and serve as mentors to younger youth and peers).
- Bachelor’s Degree, or working towards completion of a degree, required. Music degree a preferred, but not required.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English preferred
- Minimum 2 years professional experience working with inner-city urban teens
- Must be able to play at least two instruments (guitar/bass, drum set, vocals, or piano) at an intermediate level.
- Minimum 4 years professional experience in digital composition, production, post production (mastering), and/or beat making with strengths in industry standard DAW’s including iPads
- Experience in Microsoft Office programs required
- Understand the commitment to the organization’s mission and values.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- Familiarity with managing, maintaining, and troubleshooting recording spaces and software.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects, set priorities, and coordinate well with others.
- Have experience facilitating and/or leading groups particularly in an ensemble setting
- Can manage and complete multiple tasks/projects successfully, and possess the ability to communicate effectively, both verbal and written.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 20lbs.